By Robin Nixon
Ubuntu for everybody! This renowned Linux-based working approach is ideal for individuals with little technical historical past. It's easy to put in, and simple to take advantage of -- with a powerful specialise in safeguard. Ubuntu: Up and Running indicates you the bits and bobs of the program with a whole hands-on travel. You'll learn the way Ubuntu works, tips to speedy configure and hold Ubuntu 10.04, and the way to exploit this special working process for networking, enterprise, and residential leisure.
This ebook encompasses a DVD with the entire Ubuntu approach and several other really expert versions -- together with the Mythbuntu multimedia free up.
* pick out between 3 laptop environments: GNOME, KDE, or XFCE
* attach printers, sound playing cards, cameras, webcams, and iPhones
* Use the Linux filesystem with both the machine or the command line
* research networking features, resembling dossier and folder sharing and web entry
* Get an in-depth creation to the OpenOffice.org company productiveness suite
* how one can use WINE to run home windows courses
* enforce improvements quick and simply
* discover the place to get, and the way to put in, different nice software program for Linux
Read or Download Ubuntu: Up and Running: A Power User's Desktop Guide PDF
Best linux books
A useful advisor to fitting, configuring, and administering the CentOS community-based company server.
• supplying complete perception into CentOS server with a sequence of beginning issues that enable you to construct, configure, keep and install the most recent version of 1 of the world's preferred group established company servers.
• delivering rookies and more matured members alike with the chance to augment their wisdom by means of supplying quick entry to a library of recipes that addresses all elements of CentOS server and positioned you in control.
• supplying you with fast entry to a thriving wisdom base that illustrates simply how fast you could grasp CentOS server with a complete host of tips of the alternate thrown in for sturdy measure.
CentOS is a community-based company category working process and this ebook will supply a sequence of functional recommendations that won't merely aid you set up and hold CentOS as a server, yet to discover this famous Linux distribution with the goal of tackling many universal concerns via supplying a few methods of the alternate so one can simplify the duty of creating a server.
CentOS 6 Linux Server Cookbook is a realistic consultant to install, configuration, management, and upkeep. it is a one-stop-shop to all issues CentOS, so regardless as to if you would like a mail server, net server, database server, area server or a dossier sharing platform, this booklet offers a accomplished sequence of beginning issues that may offer you direct entry to the internal workings of this open resource, community-based firm server.
CentOS 6 Linux Server Cookbook is a pragmatic advisor to the entire deploy, configuration, management, and upkeep of 1 of the world’s hottest community-based firm servers.
From set up to configuration, this e-book of recipes will take you on a trip to discover internal workings of CentOS server. inside this ebook you are going to how you can set up CentOS in number of settings, increase your set up with the right kind instruments of the alternate and get ready your server to fulfil nearly any position you may ever need.
By getting to know extra approximately time, networking, package deal administration, process administration and safeguard, this ebook will serve to teach you the way to get some of the best from this freely to be had, open resource server by way of providing a chain of strategies that may assist you to grasp the artwork of creating your own net, database, mail, area identify, dossier sharing services.
What you are going to examine from this book
• fitting and validating CentOS 6 and including a computer environment;
• Configuring CentOS to permit you to control time and a number of IP addresses;
• dealing with log documents through the use of logrotate, reminiscence utilization and databases;
• coping with applications will allow you to deal with the procedure with the Yum package deal manager;
• Administering CentOS via growing new administrative clients and developing personalized e mail reports;
• Securing your shell setting, ascending consumer privileges and construction firewalls to avoid outdoor attacks;
• construction networks, domain names and enforcing the Apache net server.
Presented in a step-by-step, effortless to learn instructional type, this ebook provides the reader with genuine global suggestions to each element of CentOS 6.
CentOS is largely revered as an important and versatile Linux distribution, and it may be used as an internet server, dossier server, FTP server, area server, or a multirole resolution. it truly is designed to deal with the extra hard wishes of industrial functions akin to community and approach management, database administration, and internet providers.
You may ponder constructing LAMP as 4 books in a single, yet it really is really whatever even more worthy: a unmarried quantity that offers the open-source applied sciences identified jointly as LAMP- Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP-as tightly dovetailed parts of modern so much cheap and potent platform for development dynamic web-based purposes.
Procedure directors are swiftly adopting Ubuntu because of their skill to configure, set up, and deal with community prone extra successfully than ever. This ebook publications you thru the entire key configuration and management projects you’ll want to know to quick installation and deal with the Ubuntu Server distribution.
- Unix Filesystems Evolution, Design, And Implementation
- Einstieg in Linux : Linux verstehen und einsetzen ; [eine leichte Einführung in alle Distributionen ; Installation, Grundlagen, Praxiswissen ; DVD-ROM Vollversionen auf Multiboot-DVD: Ubuntu, openSUSE und Fedora]
- Linux All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies
- Puppet Best Practices: Design patterns for maintainable code
- Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible
Additional info for Ubuntu: Up and Running: A Power User's Desktop Guide
Full Installation | 39 I recommend you keep the installation size large enough to make it unlikely for you to run out of room. The default is usually 17 GB, but if you have a 100 or more gigabytes of free space, you may wish to change this to the maximum of 30 GB. It is important to choose both a username and a password, even though Wubi will let you continue without entering a password, because I have encountered a number of difficulties using Ubuntu/Wubi without one. To ensure you enter it correctly, you must type in the password twice.
On Mac OS X, you can use the Disk Utility program, located in the Utilities folder, by dragging an ISO file to Disk Utility’s dock icon. Then select the ISO file and go to the Images menu, where you should select Checksum → MD5. If you wish to install any of these alternative distros, you can do so either by using a virtualization program such as VirtualBox (see the section “Virtual Installation” on page 28) or by burning them to CD or DVD and performing a full installation (see the section “Full Installation” on page 38).
Creating a virtual machine Figure 2-17. Setting the virtual machine’s base memory size 32 | Chapter 2: Installing and Upgrading Ubuntu Figure 2-18. Creating a virtual hard disk Figure 2-19. Selecting Dynamically expanding storage Virtual Installation | 33 Here, I recommended you select the “Dynamically expanding storage” option, and then click Next. The reason for this is that you don’t actually need to create a large hard disk in VirtualBox, because it has the ability to increase a hard disk’s size as necessary.